We wanted to celebrate it, and some of our favourite summer pastimes: picnics and BBQs! So we have a whole section dedicated to the best Summer Saves out there – from sunscreen to ice-cream, we have found all the best deals to make sure you make the most of the long evenings and warm weather.
As you put the final touches on your Easter bonnet and stock up on Easter treats- you may wonder about the prices you’re paying this year. Luckily, mySupermarket are here to help you find where the best deals are- and aren’t this Easter- and the rest of the year too! Take a look at what we found when investigating the average price of Easter eggs in 2014…
It’s Mother’s Day this weekend- but are you paying more to treat your Mum in 2014? We take a look here…
Cool, elegant, on trend- these aren’t always words you’d associate with going to the supermarket. In fact, we’re fairly certain everyone reading this has popped out for some milk or bread in their pyjamas (or at least their slippers…) at some stage.
So when we discovered that Chanel (you know that really posh and lovely fashion house) had staged their Autumn Winter show on a supermarket inspired catwalk we were a little confused. Confused but delighted. Finally we can all be cool (without the killer heels and Botox) just by getting the weekly food shop in.
Superstars such as Rihanna and Cara Delevingne took to the aisles in “big coats over disco leggings and trainers or leather shorts over leather tracksuit bottoms suggested a cool, ‘just popped out for a pint of milk‘” look. Erm, if you say so…
Whilst we’re sure that that flouro-tweed and neon dreadlocks are all must have accessories when popping to the Chanel shopping centre, they’ve forgotten the most important accessory of all- mySuperList!
So we’ve returned the favour of making shopping chic and made fashion savvy by adding our own mySuperList suggestions to the collection. After all, just because you are shopping in a premium supermarket to the stars doesn’t mean you still can’t make a saving!
CoCo Chanel Coco Pops anyone?
Swap and Save- mySuperList let’s you know in store if there is better value to be had. So Rihanna or Cara? Let us work out the best value for you…
Puzzled by misleading supermarket signs? Never fear, in store scanning and comparisons with mySuperList keep you informed. The model on the right knows what’s going on!
Comparing unit prices is one of our top tips for making a saving in the supermarket- even one as cool as Chanel’s! Is that a Savvy Buy or are you better off going else where?
If you don’t fancy queueing (and who does), you can bypass the whole this and order online from your phone anywhere you have internet connection! So you can stay in your pyjamas at home if you like, we won’t tell anyone!
What do you think? C’est chic or le freak-y?
Hello lovely readers!
Fancy having your next shop paid for by us?
Of course you do! How? By entering this competition hosted by the fantastic Suzy Pelta (left)!
We’re giving you the chance to win one of THREE Cashback prizes with Suzy- and entering couldn’t be easier!
You could win a £50 Cashback voucher or one of two £25 Cashback vouchers- giving you a serious saving on your next shop! What would you spend that extra £50 on?
There are three ways to win:
And one winner will be chosen at random who has liked both Facebook pages and has answered the Facebook question PLUS they must also be a Twitter follower who has retweeted the competition information.
More about Suzy
Suzypeltabakes.com was set up after Suzy won ITV1′s Lorraine Show’s Cake Club Competition with her Chocolate and Banana Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting. Suzy’s blog is full of yummy recipes, news, reviews and competitions.
Suzy is also the creator of Bake With Suzy baking kits which contain all of your dry ingredients cleverly pre-measured out, ready to make one of Suzy’s delicious recipes. Check out suzypeltabakes.com for all of the latest stockist information and scrummy recipes!
Joke offers, feeling cheated and impulse buys are aspects of grocery shopping we’d all like to avoid. It’s easier than you think to fall for false economies such as needless 2 for 1s or offers that leave you out of pocket. Factor in the knowledge that food inflation is rising year on year and it’s easy to see why food shopping is taking up more and more of our budgets.
Luckily, there are still ways for savvy shoppers to save and beat the supermarket’s tricks.
Consumer expert Sarah Willingham joined the Sky Sunrise team this week to offer her top tips on making your money go further at the supermarkets. And guess what, mySupermarket is her “biggest tip of all”!
Watch the video now to see why you need mySupermarket and mySuperList to help you save.
Sarah’s top features
We’re the genie on Sarah’s shoulder as she navigates the offer lead supermarket aisles, both online and offline, and we can be your’s too. Here’s how we can help you save.
Use mySupermarket to expose bad offers
Sarah explains how you can avoid false offers, and get the best deals, by using our Swap and Save feature. Why buy the kilo of sugar pack when there is a 2 for 1 on the 500g variety? Would you have the time and patience to check all the offers in store yourself? Most probably not, so let us do the hard work for you. We’ll “tap you on the shoulder” and give you all the information you need to make the right choice for your trolley and wallet.
Use mySuperList’s Scanner to check deals in store
Sarah also loves the scanning feature on mySuperList. mySuperList makes your phone an indispensable tool as you can use the scanning feature to help you build and edit your list or to check pricing information in store. Look like a good deal? What if we told you that price is actually above the average and you’re better of waiting to purchase. Who else would let you know? The supermarket’s confusing signs? Not likely!
Use mySupermarket and mySuperList to make the most of your chosen supermarket
We know that not everyone has the time to cherry pick the best offers from store to store, but this won’t stop you from saving. As Sarah explains, you can use the Swap and Save feature and pricing information we provide to make savvy shopping decisions in the store you’re already in. We’ll let you know if an offer is worth bulk buying, or if it’s one to avoid. You can even use Swap and Save to switch brands or varieties to get the same product but at a better price. Result!
Thanks Sarah for spreading the savvy word! If you have a friend who doesn’t know about mySupermarket- why not share this video with them? If Sarah can persuade Eamon and co.- she can probably persuade them too!
Saving doesn’t have to stop at the checkout. With some forward thinking and planning you can reduce your costs, food waste and hassle with clever meal planning.
It’s becoming more popular to be savvy with your suppers. Have you seen Sainsbury’s Make your Roasts go Further campaign? How about Jamie Oliver’s latest book ‘Save with Jamie‘. Using left overs for lunch boxes or meals later on in the week are great ideas to get you started, but one of our favourite ways to save on your weekly dinners is by getting creative with your basic ingredients.
Take mince for example. You can pick it up in a variety of formats (beef or pork, vegetarian, lean or organic etc) in big value packs. It is also often an item which can be found in the reduced section of supermarkets at the end of the day- perfect for freezing!
The beautiful thing about mince is its versatility. You can make burgers, chillis, meatballs, pies…the list goes on an on. PLUS it’s super easy to cook and store. You can make hundreds of healthy and easy recipes with one batch. Don’t be afraid of experimenting with spices or bulking out with beans and vegetables. Here are 4 recipes to get you started:
1. Meatball Pasta Bake
This is a great recipe to make with kids- they’ll love getting stuck in and helping you make the meatballs.
- 450g (1lb) beef mince
- 1 tbs oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 packet Schwartz Meatball Pasta Bake
- 150ml (1/4 pint) water
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbs tomato puree
- 200g (7oz) pasta, cooked and drained
- 75g (3oz) Cheddar cheese, grated
2. Keema with peas
Spice up your ideas with this recipe. It is so beautifully easy and simple but will really liven up a midweek meal and give you a taste for adventure!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4cm piece ginger, grated
- 2 green chillies
- 3 tbsp oil
- 500g lamb mince
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tsp turmeric
- ½ a can chopped tomatoes (freeze the rest), or use 2 medium fresh tomatoes
- 2 tbsp natural yogurt
- 200g frozen peas or cooked fresh peas
- 1 small bunch coriander, chopped
3. Chilli con Carni
This one works great with a vegetarian mince ( ‘carni’ does mean meat, but shhh), and can be cooked in a slow cooker to really enhance the warm flavours. Perfect for January evenings!
- 1 tbs light olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 tsp Schwartz Cumin Ground
- 1 tsp Schwartz Coriander Ground
- 1 tbs Schwartz Oregano
- 1 Schwartz Bay Leaves
- 450g (1lb) lean beef mince
- 2 tbs Schwartz Paprika
- 4 tbs tomato purée
- 1 tsp Schwartz Chillies Crushed
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 200ml (7fl oz) beef stock
- 400g tin kidney beans, drained
- 1-2 squares of good quality dark chocolate
- 1 tbs Schwartz Coriander Leaf
- Schwartz Sea Salt and Black Pepper to season
Love a great burger? Trust us, they taste even better when you’ve made them yourself. You know exactly what’s in your food and you can season it just the way you like. Perfect!
- 1 small onion
- 500g good-quality beef mince
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 burger buns
- PLUS all the toppings you love!
What are your top tips to make your ingredients go further? Let us know in the comments below!
Morrisons has always been the store that most of you have asked us to add, and finally it’s here.
They are currently only delivering in a small area of the country but they are on our mobile app too, so you can use the power of mySupermarket across the country. You can use it to prepare a list and send it to the app. Here you can also compare your basket price across all the stores, and scan and compare products whilst in any store too.
But how do they stack up? Can you save even more by including Morrisons in your search for the best value? We certainly think you can.
Immediately we are able to highlight to you all the savvy buys (products at least 30% below their average price across all the retailers) – and there are some crackers- some of which we have shown below. I have also included some of the fantastic offers you will find in the other stores. All this adds up to the fact you will now have a much wider range of great prices to choose from.
Great prices from our newest retailer – but, as always, it pays to shop around. Here’s a selection of some of the outstanding deals at the other stores:
As always, we would love to know what YOU think. Is it useful to you to be able to compare Morrisons? Will this help you save more this year? Let us know in the comments or on our Facebook page.
Happy savvy shopping.
At this time of year you don’t have to look far to find a Top 10 of “how to save”, or “be savvier”, “more frugal”, “Clear the Xmas credit card” etc – but they all seem to say the same old things, many of which you’ve seen before. How many times do you want to be advised “don’t go shopping on an empty stomach”, or “stick to a shopping list” etc? This list I hope is different. It’s practical to do, it’s realistic and each one can give you genuine savings. If you follow all 10 then it really could make a dramatic difference to your grocery bills. Also, you’ll start to see why we have Aldi on our site and why we designed a mobile app that works in stores.
1. Become a Savvy Buy addict
- We only call them Savvy Buys if they are truly amazing deals. We’ve done the maths for you so take advantage. The numbers are black and white – there are no fancy tricks here!
- You’ll never find this kind of information promoted by the individual supermarkets
2. Sticking to a favourite store? That’s so last year!
- If you are able to, don’t stick to just one store.
- Each store has different products on offer, plus the price guarantees offered by Tesco, Sainsburys and Asda mean that in theory you won’t miss out if certain products are at a better price in your favourite store. Do your research first though.
- Use Aldi for saving on those basics, plus you will find that their award winners are a steal!
3. Become a proud cherry picker
- One for the super organised, but the savings are huge – and this is a trend that is really catching on
- When you plan your shop don’t choose a store. Put your shopping list together on our site or app (see No.10) and then see where to get each item for the best price
- If there is something you want but it is not on offer in any of the stores, or our pricing graph shows that it is expensive at the moment – then either wait to buy it another time or try an alternative. Whatever you do, don’t be overpaying!
4. Start bulking
- Our American cousins have been doing this for years, and we should all start doing it too.
- Use our pricing graphs to see when a price is the lowest it has been all year, buy it in bulk and store it.
- Some classic examples of products that will suddenly appear on a great deal and ideal for bulking are: washing liquid, shower gel, tinned tomatoes, crisps, toilet paper, deodorant, toothpaste and fizzy drinks.
5. Swap and Save
- This is not just about swapping to the supermarkets own brands, although they are often as good as the leading brands and a lot cheaper.
- This is about checking the unit prices of products because often you can spend more on a bigger box but save because the unit price is lower. Somewhat alarmingly, this can sometimes work in reverse too. We see many examples where you can buy two smaller boxes of a product that works out cheaper than the larger pack.
- This all sounds like hard work, but use our site or our app and we’ll do all the comparing and make the suggestions for you – even if you are in the store.
6. Be told instantly when your favourite products are on offer
- Sounds too good to be true, but this is one of our most popular features.
- Price Alerts – we have them on every single one of the 100,000+ products on our site and app. Flick the little price alert button next to any product and we’ll email you the instant it goes on offer. You can have an alert for as many products as you like. We even have an area on our site where you can see which ones you have flicked.
7. Don’t overpay for convenience
- All the big supermarkets are in a race to open as many convenience stores as possible. This is great for all of us as it gives us easier access to the products we like.
- But beware; you are paying for the convenience. Prices are NOT necessarily the same in the convenience sized stores as they are in the main supermarkets – you are generally paying a lot more. They still have special offers, but again these tend to be different to what you see in the bigger shops. So only buy the bare essentials. Or if you are not sure, scan any product to see how the ‘big store price’ compares.
8. Cashback on the products you normally buy
- Cashback is great. It soon mounts up and you can then spend it on whatever you want – rather than most loyalty schemes, vouchers or other bonuses where most rewards have to be spent or ‘redeemed’ in the place you earned them
- It won’t make you rich, but getting a few pounds back on products you would normally buy anyway is a nice bonus.
- We give it away on many products on our site, but did you know we also have it on our app for products you buy in actual stores? We don’t care where you shop, we just want you to save.
9. Don’t be caught out, never assume it’s a good deal just because it’s ‘on offer’
- I’m a sucker for offers. I like a deal as much as the next person. So in store I look out for the big posters, the giant ‘Save’ messages, and the bright promotional ends. When online I go straight to the offers section and look for the price cuts. But do you realise that not is always what it seems?
- Ever seen a product and thought that it’s always on offer? Me too. Always check the pricing graphs to see the average price of a product across the previous year. You may find that the offer price you are drawn to is actually similar or more expensive than the average price!
- The other pitfall is that the special offer you like may be on an even better deal in another supermarket, or worse still cheaper at normal price in another store!
10. mySuperlist – all the savings tips rolled into one
- A portable money saver. Your very own offer checker, budget manager, list manager, cashback earner, and swap & save searcher.
- This is undoubtedly the best way to achieve most of the other savings tips on this list. It’s like having every single store in your pocket, but with a friendly assistant showing you the best (and worst) deals, what to buy from each store, checking prices for you, what to swap and save. It will even carry your shopping (okay, not yet!)
- Here is a link to the android version and iphone version.
There you have it – our top 10. We don’t care where you shop; neither do we care if it is online, in-store or both. We don’t work for any retailers and we don’t charge anyone for the features we offer mentioned above or for downloading and using our app. We just want to help consumers spend less and never overpay – which has been our mission now for over eight years.
Have a savvy year !